Friday, November 5, 2010

In a World of Icons

No, I don't mean those iconic figures we put on a pedestal. The icons that populate my world are the multi-colored symbols on our electronic tracking board. Icon progression serves as visual alert for real-time lab and x-ray results. Who can ignore that Panic alert icon for blood results with critical values?

We can glean a lot of information from the icons on the board. More symbols mean that the patients have been in the ED much longer than we want.

Some icons explain themselves: NPO, Needs exam,, Same Name. Others defy explanation.

Green gowns mean patients are in danger of elopement. I should create one to show a nurse running away from the doctors and patients alike. Tracking board should be discreet enough so as not to raise complaints of violation of patient confidentiality. And yet, we advocate for transparency in our reports.

To really make a difference with the icons, I propose the following:




Guess what the above icons mean. These are the suggested meanings (not in any particular order):

1. Cholesterol-rich diet
2. Grandma and motorcycle: Bad combination.
3. Will the doctor please stop monkeying around and see my patient now?
4. Darn! I didn't see the posted "No swimming" sign
5. Fireman: VIP (roll out the red carpet)
6. Quit bothering the nurse! Can't you see she's busy?
7. Yes! We're back. Downtime is over!
8. Waiting for Disposition; what are you waiting for?
9. Bipolar Disorder
10. Sex: Undetermined
11. Spell-check
12. I wish I didn't drink too much mojito!

No comments:

Post a Comment